Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Nate's 5th Birthday: Sonic the Hedgehog

A couple of weekends ago was my sons 5th birthday party. The boy is OBSESSED with video games, Sonic the Hedgehog is his fave at the moment. When we asked him what he wanted his theme to be, it was no surprise that he said Sonic. As some of you know, the character parties are not my favorite but I've had to let that go since having Nate because boys WILL be boys and they love them some characters! My son has thrown some curve balls at me with wanting character parties that aren't the most popular (remember Robin, the Boy Wonder from last year?) or they don't make much supplies in the stores. I don't mind though, I get to create my own versions of these themes and I love that! I wanted to make sure this was something that Nate would love and true to him. I'm not a gamer like my son is and he actually helped me throughout this whole planning process. He told me about all the characters and all the elements in the game and cartoons. Besides the little "old school" elements that I included, this was all Nate's doing. He saw every piece I made and ordered, pretty much he was the BOSS! LOL. Check out boss mans, Sonic the Hedgehog 5th birthday party!


 I made the centerpieces using a few of the characters from the game. I was lucky enough to find color plastic ice cubes at Target and they made perfect "Chaos Emeralds".


We rented a game truck for all the lil' gamers at the party. Let me tell ya, this was a HUGE hit! My son was NOT too happy when our time was up, that's for sure. He LOVED it! I highly recommend Game Truck, they have many locations throughout the country.

The boys scoping out the truck when it first arrived. 

 The dessert table
Got a little old school with some crepe paper streamers for the backdrop. Also made the birthday sign with a Sega font. 

 Added some O.G. Sega Sonic game cartridges to these boxes, holding #5 lollipops from Candied Cakes on Etsy. They were delish!!

 I ordered cotton candy tubs for the first time from Dolly's Cotton Candy, located in Orange County. I've seen them cater to celeb parties, so I figured they had to be good and they did not disappoint!

 Sonic "gold rings" in donut form.

These "chaos emerald" cookies on a stick from She Wears the Crown were BEYOND perfect!! She created exactly what I envisioned for the dessert table.


 Birthday banner, Sega style.



I threw in some candy gems to the base of my cookie box. 






Another "old school" element,  a television from the early 90's that I painted red and added an image of the Sonic game to it. I found an old Sega Genesis from 1990 as well and paired them up for some fun decor. 

I made the labels for the cotton candy tubs.


This cake by Silvia's Cake Creations is AMAZING!! She never disappoints either!

The favor table was dedicated to the villain of the Sonic the Hedgehog games, Dr. Robotnik…. aka Egg Man! So of course I had to make a huge cutout of him, along with his famous last words…. "I hate that hedgehog!".

 I remember these toys from when I was a kid, so I had to get some for Nate's party!

No one else could make the "Egg Quarters" banner this awesome but The Purple Pug. I wish I could capture how glittery and fab it looked in person.




I made these vinyl Dr. Robotnik silhouettes to snazzy-up the favor capsules.


 I LOVE how the centerpiece for Nate's table came out!


 Sugar Coated Studios is so awesome at the custom wood utensils!

 I also made these Sonic vinyls for the drinking cups.




 We hunted down the ice cream mans supplier and scored Sonic ice creams!!

 How cool is this piñata by Angela's Piñata's?!?


 Now that's some determination!! LOL!! Take that candle!


Vendor Credits:
Silvia's Cake Creations- cake
The Purple Pug- Egg Quarters banner
She Wears the Crown- Chaos Emerald cookies
Sugar Coated Studios- Custom wood forks
Dolly's Cotton Candy- cotton candy tubs
Candied Cakes- #5 lollipops
A Pocket Full of Sweets- candy gems
Bourge Bride- polka dot table runner
Angela's Piñata's- custom Sonic piñata
Game Truck


10 comments:

Unknown said...

That look great good job mom

Enchanted Expectations said...

Ok I'm in love. What a great party and I LOVE the game truck. I have to do this for my son!

Kristy {the purple pug} said...

SUPA SONIC! Good gaming lawd, this is amazing~ You know I adore the cake. I LOVE the simplicity of the dining table set up. Insane over the NATE centerpiece. And my fave is the egg quarters table. I do not think those huge capsules could have been any more perfect. Amazed. Cannot wait to show my Chimps this pure awesomeness!

CWBD Parties said...

That is sooooo cute!!! I might be officially sold on the game truck too!!!!

Tini Posh said...

Truly amazing!!! Love all the details! Great job like always!!

Brittany Schwaigert said...

Every single bit of this is PERFECT! I love the colors, I am dying over those centerpieces, those cookies are SICK! I know he was in heaven!! Great job momma! Awesome party!

Unknown said...

How did you make the center pieces...can you email me what I need to make them..please?

Unknown said...

Hello I love your creativity. I to am throwing a Sonic themed party for my son and I am making the centerpieces. Although it is pretty difficult to find the images. May I ask where you purchased yours at. Thank you.

Pinata Pinatas said...

Pinatas will give us a lot of fun in our parties.
You have done a great job and your post is awesome.
I am very happy to see your post, i bought a pinata for my kids event from
http://www.pinatas.com
I definitely try it by my own for our next event.

Thank You,
Pinata Pinatas.

Donald Trump Pinata said...

Your Content is great, i love the way you explained.
The political time coming soon, here we can blast our party with Donald Trump Pinata Theme.
Go here to check for your customized Donald Trump Pinata
http://www.pinatas.com/collections/celebrity-pinatas/products/large-custom-donald-trump-pinata

Thank You,
Donald Trump Pinata.