Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas gifts for the "Book Worm"

This weekend I finally got a chance to do a little more Christmas shopping. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to buy gifts for my girls. These girls are so spoiled and they have everything! Although this year, Tahlia has become a real book worm, so I knew exactly what to get her. I'm really so proud of her! She struggled a little, when she started Kinder and 1st grade and that's just memorizing high frequency words, but you wouldn't even know that now, if you saw how much she is reading. Since the start of the 2nd grade, she has progressed so much, that she is reading books that are at a 4th grade level!! Without my knowledge, she used some of her birthday money (which she saved since September), to place a book order at school. She filled out the form (with her sisters help) and turned in the order. One day I happen to notice she had a lot of books in her school bag and when I asked her about them, that's when she informed me of what she did. I was so blown away! When I asked why she hadn't given me the order to fill out for her, she said "I told you I wanted to get these books but you told me to hold on. You said you would look at my order when you were done with dinner and so I got tired of waiting!". LOL!! She even gave herself a deadline of when she had to finish reading, "The
Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" (which by the way, I have NO idea what those stories are about!). As soon as we got in the car to go to school, as soon as she got in the car when I picked her up from school and when we got home, after homework, she was non-stop with her book! She wanted to finish it by the time the movie was released, which was this past friday and even though she didn't make her deadline, hubby took her to see the movie. She was so excited and happy! And she said even though she saw the movie, she was still going to finish the book. As an added plus, I received her progress report card on Friday, where her teacher noted that "Her love of reading and books is growing everyday". Can you tell by this long post, that I am extremely proud of her? Hehe! I truly am!

So, I decided that I would give her the only book I ever remember reading as a child and only because my younger sister, who is also a book worm, loved reading Shel Silverstein books. "Where the Sidewalk Ends", is something that I know she will love. She loves poems! And if she likes it, then I will definitely get her the follow up, "A Light in the Attic". I picked it up this weekend and I'm so excited to give it to her!
I may have mentioned before, but "Are You My Mother" was Tahlia's favorite book when she was younger and I want to introduce it to Nathaniel as well. Hopefully he loves it as much as she did. So I also picked up the 50th anniversary edition to give to him.

<span class=

2 comments:

Amaris said...

Awwwwwwwww!!!! Would it be lame if she got more books for Christmas? I'd like to get her MY favorite children's book

Anonymous said...

Tahlia is so cute! I HEART her!

Diana