Friday, August 20, 2010

Gymboree: Play & Music

Right after returning from vacation, Nate was scheduled for a check-up and so Tuesday, is when something dawned on me. Nate hadn't been to the pediatrician since he started walking, so the last time we were there he was still sitting in the stroller. He has 2 older sisters that are more interested in dancing and music, than their little brother, unfortunately. As I watched him play with other children at the doctors office, I realized he never gets to play with children his own age. Especially since he's been walking. And I really felt bad for him because he was having so much fun. We don't have many people around us, that we could have play dates with. So I decided that this was unacceptable! I came home and started looking for places I could take my son, on a weekly basis to interact with other children and just have some fun. I called around a few places and it was RIDICULOUS how much they were charging for children to play. I finally came across Gymboree: Play & Music. Their statement: Gymboree Play & Music has been fostering creativity and confidence in children ages 0-5 for over 30 years. Today there are over 550 locations in 30 countries, making us the global leader in early childhood development programs. Designed by experts, our age-appropriate activities help develop the cognitive, physical and social skills of children as they play. Our programs are also recognized for their unique approach to parent involvement—which encourages participation in and understanding of each child’s development.

Most of these places offer about the same things, so the price is what was going to draw me in. They offer a class suitable for toddlers. The Gymboree Play & Learn 4, seems to be perfect for Nate. They learn to figure out how the world works and become a competent problem solver through games that uncover patterns and sequences. At $70 to $85 a month, for multiple days weekly, plus "Open Play" days in between; so far it's the best deal I've come across. But I am open to hearing any suggestions! If any of you know of something better, PLEASE, feel free to suggest! Take in mind, I live in Southern California, Los Angeles area.

17 comments:

Unplanned Cooking said...

That would be a great deal here, especially during the winter months when it ends up costing a fortune to go to the indoor parks. I'd definitely go for it.

Following from BF.

L. Eleana Johnson said...

My daughter loved Gymboree! But at almost 2 years old, she lost interest. She's still friends with a few of the children and we do play dates together. This summer,I paid only $38.00 for 10 gymnastics classes through county recreation. We live in a great county that offers tons of stuff for small children at very low rates.

We also did storytime at the library, where I met a lot of moms. If you go to a local park, you may find some moms their too and form great relationships.

You may want to also try a meetup.com (i think that's it) and look for playgroups in your neighborhood.

Hope this helps!

Kristina said...

Hello! I am your newest follower! My name is Kristina (a.k.a. Miss Mommy) and I'm not sure if you're following my blog yet, but if not, I would love it if you could take a look!

Thank you! (Great blog, by the way!)
http://www.kristinawyatt.com/missmommy

J. At Your Service said...

@Kristina- Thanks for stopping by and YES, I am following you! You have a adorable children! Cuties!
@L. Eleana- that was VERY helpful thank you so much! The library story time sounds great but I don't think my son will stay quiet long enough, lol! But I like that idea.
Thanks for following along ladies!

Belly Charms said...

I am following you back. I have friends who love Gymboree !!!! We don't have one close to us or I would try it too.

Melissa Sharon said...

I've always wanted to try Gymboree, but I don't think they have one around where I live. I found you through bloggy moms and am your newest follower. If you have time, will you follow me back at http://www.thejoyfuljungle.com

Kenna said...

Thanks for following me! I love your blog:) You have a beautiful family!

Autumn Bradshaw said...

I really want to check out the Gymboree classes. I have considered them for a while now, and just am too much of a "follower" type to go and spend the money on it without first hearing what other mommies have to say. So please - once you take him, could you give us all the tried-and-true details? Big hugs to you!

J. At Your Service said...

@Autumn- I will definitely inform everyone how it goes, once I try it. I think I will try a free sample class that they offer, before I commit to $85. Stay tuned! Have a great weekend!

Tricia at Mom is the Only Girl said...

Is there a decent community center around? I'm from a small community in upstate NY, so it may be different here, but I usually sign my boys up for programs through there, and at decent rates, too! Just a thought...

Ashley E. said...

Following from Bloggy Moms!
http://babyeichhorn.blogspot.com

Isa said...

Hey J!
I was going to put Dax in the Little Gym and it was so wack! I tried the free trial class(thank GOD) and it was so lame! The kids were never encouraged to interact with one another, the instructor was there for about 7 minutes and then all the parents were on there own! If I wanted to let him just climb around and jump o stuff, we could do that at home for free! I will definitely check out Gymboree too! Thanks for the suggestion!

J. At Your Service said...

@Isa- Little Gym here is $770 for 20 weeks!!!! I wouldn't go there for THAT reason ALONE! LOL! But good to know, I would got ripped off too. Thanks for the heads up! I will probably go next week for the free class, I shall report back :)

Unknown said...

I have never even priced Gymboree in my area...but gosh it all sounds so expensive. If i wasn't working I probably would look more into these things for my kids. I am trying to find swimming lessons for my son but the swimming school in my area is overpriced...and the YMCA is booked. Following you from blog frog! Nice to meet you!!!! ~Kimberly

www.stinkerpinker.com

Angela said...

Thanks for following Mommy Time Out

Cori said...

I [heart] Gymboree and Gymboree Play and Music! The Gymbo bubbles are the best! And thanks, now I have the Gymbo the Clown song stuck in my head lol :)

Old To New said...

I was thinking about trying the free class for my little one too.. please do post on how you like it! :)
Following you back! GREAT blog. You have an adorable family!